Social Media, fad or a fundamental change in the way we communicate?
- Over 50% of the world’s population is under 30 years old
- By 2010 Gen Y will outnumber Baby Boomers
- 96% of them has joined a social network
- Years to reach 50 million users: Radio – 38 years , TV – 13 years, Internet – 5 years, iPod – 3 years. Facebook added 200 million users in less than 1 year. If Facebook was a country it would now be the 3rd largest country in the world.
- Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic in the U.S.
- There are over 100 million active users using Facebook through their mobile phone
- Over 300,000 businesses have a presence on Facebook
- 55-65 year-old females is the fastest growing segment on Facebook
- Twitter gets more than 3 billon requests a day, generated by 180 million unique visitors
- Twitter gets about 300,000 new user accounts per day
- 80% of companies use Social Media for recruitment. Of them 95% use Linked in as their primary tool.
- 77% of active Internet users read blogs
- YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world
- 25% of search results for the world’s top 20 brands are links to user-generated content
- There are over 200,000,000 Blogs and 54% posts or tweet daily
- 34% of all bloggers post opinions about products and brands
- 78% of consumers trust peer recommendation
- Only 14% of consumers trust advertisement
- Only 18% of traditional TV campaigns generate a positive ROI
It’s time for your company to join the Social Media revolution.
Sources: socialnomic.com, thefuturebuzz.com, digitalbuzzblog.com